Posted by. Posted on: at .
Opening a new business is always connected with the question of its promotion. Of course, in these modern times, the best way to make yourself known is through the Internet. This applies not only to online stores that sell goods through the internet but also to companies that use web resources to talk about products and services, the benefits of cooperation, and new opportunities for potential customers. An important question the owner of a young business choosing the tools to market their business online needs to answer is: “Is there enough hosting capacity for the smooth and correct operation of the newly created business website?”
It is important to find an answer to this question even at the stage of launching the business website. As a matter of fact, you need to consider all prospects so as not to subsequently overpay the hosting company for the transition from one type of hosting to another, especially since it’s not so easy to do technically.
The easiest and most inexpensive option, at first glance, is to rent disk space on shared hosting. This is inexpensive. However, the site owner will have to share all the resources with other “tenants” on the server. With an unprecedented increase in traffic, this may lead to the collapse of the website, slow loading pages, and several other errors. As a worthy alternative to shared hosting, hosting providers often offer a virtual private server – VPS. This service is more expensive. But in this case, the customer does not need to share resources with “neighbors”, because each customer is provided with their personal capacity. In addition, the owner of the site gets the right to configure the system to their own taste and personal needs. The user gets more control and this comes with a guarantee of uninterrupted operation of the site.
All these advantages of VPS over shared hosting are known to every user who has ever once looked into the question. But can a shared personal hosting really help a startup to develop? We offer to find out together with the HostZealot specialists who offer VPS hosting in Europe.
Why VPS hosting is attractive for startups?
So, you plan to create a business, and in advance, investigate the possibilities of how to promote it on the Internet. As already mentioned, the most logical option at first glance is to put the site on shared hosting. A large server is divided into many isolated environments. One such “cell” is offered to a separate client. Such clients get access to their administrative panels and hosting tools to ensure the smooth operation of installed components, the safety of the database, and so on.
But as soon as the site’s traffic increases, everything might begin to “slow down”. After all, the resources allocated to the client from a common “basket” may not be enough to solve the growing problems. Also, this might affect other clients on the server since they are all sharing resources. At this point, the web host might decide to suspend service or offer the owner of such a web resource to switch from a basic package to a more expensive plan.
There is another disadvantage of shared hosting – the impossibility of personalizing certain server settings. A client on a shared hosting plan can not install new server functionality. He will have to be content with the software and options that are provided by the service host. The prospect is not bright. That is why more and more business owners, after consultation with specialists, choose VPS hosting.
VPS is a virtual private server that is rented by several users with each user staying within their defined limits. And when compared with shared hosting, it differs in the fact that each client gets disk space with a clear indication of power and memory. This means that each user on the server knows the limitations and possibilities of their hosting package. In this case, a site owner on a VPS plan should not be afraid of site failure and incorrect operation due to the rapid growth of other users on the server or claims from the hosting company about resource usage.
The advantages of VPS hosting can be summarized as shown below:
- The speed of a website directly affects its ranking on the search engines. A good loading speed reduces the bounce rate and increases the conversion rate. A VPS provides a high loading speed and greater stability, whereas these indicators on a shared hosting plan may be negatively impacted by an increase in traffic.
- Renting disk space on shared hosting is cheaper, but opportunities for the owner of the site are limited. On the ratio of price to quality, a VPS plan is the best option. Users receive more resources, and the functionality is quite close to what is obtainable on a dedicated server. This is explained by the fact that all customers, whose sites are located on the server, pay for one physical resource, having its own disk space. And the cost of the service for each client is lower than for tenants of dedicated servers.
- Security and privacy are important factors for businesses. Databases on the VPS are not available to other users of the server. In addition, many providers offer reliable protection from hacker attacks and malicious programs.
- One of the main advantages of VPS is manageability. Users choose the software to use and he gets root access. This feature gives the site owner full control over the virtual server.
Well, it’s time to talk about how VPS hosting can help a promising startup. It is no secret that today, if a company is not on the Internet, it is simply not on the market. Even staunch adherents of old marketing campaigns today have given up on the traditions of their ancestors and created websites on the Internet. These are the realities of our time, and there is no escaping them. And if you have to spend money to write the code, to put it on the host, it’s better to choose the best price to features ratio. And a little earlier we have already explained, in what a virtual private server wins from shared hosting.
- Even if you’re just starting out, you should always have a perspective. You do believe that your site will become extremely popular, don’t you? And no shared hosting can handle traffic surges better than a VPS. More scalability. In the case of VPS, you can upgrade resources along with the growth of the site. This feature is not available on a shared hosting.
- The speed of loading pages – an important criterion for search engines, as well as the correct operation of the site. A slow website will not contribute to a brand’s reputation. The more traffic, the more resources the site needs to work correctly. And on shared hosting, your resources are not just limited, they depend on “neighbors.”
- Individuality. In the case of a virtual private server, you choose your own software, applications that will help you win your audience. If you buy disk space on a shared server, be prepared to accept the “terms of the game”, which dictate the hoster.
So, shared hosting is suitable if you are not expecting an increase in traffic. For example, you have created a business card site, on the page which prescribed your physical contacts and basic information. In this case, the literate SEO promotion will help you to appear in the search engine results. But since your site does not provide for the active actions of visitors to the page, then the growth of traffic and conversions should not be expected. Calmly rent space on a shared server. Your site and shared hosting will do their job.
If you plan to actively sell through the site, if you intend to connect the feedback option and in general intend to develop an electronic resource, it is better to choose immediately VPS-hosting. In this case, your opportunities will be much wider, and the prospects – rosier.