Bluetooth enabled devices and your computer:– Bluetooth technology has come to be a very important innovation in the transfer of information and date between two or more devices. Electronic devices that are Bluetooth enabled can share data in a wireless manner at great speeds even across several meters in distance between these devices. There are several electronic gadgets that use Bluetooth technology and these devices include smart TV sets, Home theaters, smartphones, computer sets, medical devices, transponders, beacons and so on.
However, we shall focus here on how a computer finds and pairs up with other Bluetooth enabled devices for the purposes transferring data. You can set several options on how your computer finds or is found by Bluetooth enabled devices.
- Open the control panel by clicking on the ‘start’ icon and then click ‘control panel’ located on the right
- In the Control Panel search box, type Bluetooth, and then click ‘Change Bluetooth settings’.
- In the Bluetooth Settings dialog box, click the ‘Options’ tab and do any of the following:
- To make your computer discoverable to Bluetooth enabled devices; select the check box for ‘Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer’.
When a Bluetooth enabled computer is in discovery mode, it sends a wireless signal that allows it to be detected or discovered by other computers or devices. This is can sometimes called the pairing mode. If you check this box, your computer will still be able to detect Bluetooth enabled devices that are in discovery mode, but they will not be able to detect your computer.
- To help protect your computer, only make your computer discoverable when you want a Bluetooth enabled device to find your computer.
- To allow you to add Bluetooth enabled devices to your computer, select the check box for ‘Allow Bluetooth devices to connect to this computer’.
- To be notified when a Bluetooth enabled device is trying to connect to your computer, select the check box for ‘Alert me when a new Bluetooth device wants to connect’.