It is possible for you to use an infrared connection to send or receive a folder, document or picture from one device to another. For instance, you can send a folder or document from your PC, computer or laptop to a smartphone or other mobile device that has an infrared capability, or you can even receive a document from the mobile device. If your digital camera has infrared capability, then you can send images, photos or pictures from the camera to your computer quite easily.
Just like a TV remote control, infrared devices use very high frequency light to communicate between two infrared enabled devices. Just as a remote control must be pointed directly to the TV, infrared likewise requires a direct line of sight to reach another computer or device.
Most computer makers no longer add infrared capability to their computers because of the advent of wireless file transfer that is now often done with Bluetooth technology. However, many older version of computers especially laptops and mobile devices have in-built infrared capability. If you do not see a category named Infrared devices in Device Manager, it means that your computer probably does not have infrared capability or is not infrared enabled. In order to be sure, look for infrared ports which are openings covered with black or dark red plastic on the front of your laptop or computer, or you can check with the manufacturer.
How to Send a Document or Folder
Put the two devices in close range and point the infrared ports, the openings covered with black or dark red plastic, toward each other, and wait a few seconds for the Infrared icon to appear in the on your computer.
- Click the ‘Infrared icon’ in the notification area of your computer and select the document or folder that you want to send, and then click ‘Send’.
- On the receiving device or computer, you will be asked to accept or reject the sent folder or document.
If the steps listed above do not work, you can then try this:
Click the ‘Start button’, click ‘Control Panel’, type ‘infrared’ in the search box, and then, in the list of results that appear, click ‘Infrared’.
Make sure the ‘Allow others to send files to my computer using infrared communications’ check box is selected or ticked, and then click ‘OK’.
How to Receive a Picture
- Click the ‘Start button’, click ‘Control Panel’, type ‘infrared’ in the search box, and then, in the list of results that appear, click ‘Infrared’.
- Click on the ‘Image Transfer’ tab, and then select the ‘Allow digital cameras to use infrared to transfer images directly to my computer’ check box.
- Put the two devices in close range and point the infrared ports toward each other.
- Wait until the Infrared icon appears in the notification area of your computer and wait for the camera to recognize the presence of the new infrared device.
- On the camera, press ‘Send’ or ‘Transfer’ or check the information or manual that came with your camera to find out how to start the transfer. When the images, pictures or photos appear on the computer, choose the location where you want to store or save them.
How to Receive a Document, Folder, or Picture
When you receive a document, folder or picture through an infrared connection, a dialog box will be displayed on the receiving computer.
Click ‘Yes’ or ‘Yes to all’ if there are multiple items to accept the sent document, folder or picture.