Every year tons of used or old personal computers, laptops and other electronic devices are discarded or thrown away annually amounting to a staggering 5000 tonnes of computer parts and accessories. However, quite a huge number of computer and laptop owners are oblivious of some essential tips that can keep their computer devices still working instead of hastily discarding them for a new one. The tips enumerated below are important steps that could be taken in order to revitalize and upgrade a broken down or inefficient computer system.
1. Always Scan for Malware and Spyware: Computer devices are prone to intrusions in the form of malware and spyware especially if connected to the internet. Therefore, a good anti-virus and anti malware security system must be installed to protect the PC against such hazards. Norton internet security, Avast and AVG are popular anti-virus security software that can be run at regular intervals to protect the computer system against rogue elements that may steal personal information or some financial details o f the user or can even affect major components of a computer’s hard drive and compromise its efficiency.
2. Effect a Screen Change: instead of relying on that huge and ‘clumsy’ screen of your desktop computer, you can change it for a sleeker 20’ screen for a little below ‘100 bucks’ These newer screens are designed with LED technology which is both eye and eco-friendly unlike the cathode ray tube (CTR) screen.
3. Go for a Wireless Hard Drive: A wireless hard drive gives you the leverage of streaming content around the home or office environment directly to your smart TV or tablet devices. You can equally use the wireless hard drive as a backup storage device thereby saving your computer memory the tasks of processing large volumes of data and consequently extending the life and efficiency of the hard disks.
Read More: 14 Ways to Monetize Your Electronic Gadgets
4. Install a new Operating System: A change of your systems operating system to a newer and more robust version may just be all you need to spruce up your computer. OS such as Mountain Lion and Maverick from apple comes with a whole new lot of features. Microsoft computers can equally use the new Windows 8 that would revolutionize your computer experience. However, you must check for your systems compatibility before installing any of these newer Operating Systems.
5. Replace Hard Drives with Solid State Drives: The Solid State Drives have the capability of running much faster than the traditional internal hard drives. So by replacing your system hard drive you are invariably upgrading its performance status. This upgrade would enhance faster file or data processing, reduce booting time and ensure proper synchronization with any external hardware. Run a compatibility check on your computer and consult professional service personnel in upgrading any component or software program.
6. Increase the Computer RAM: Just by replacing the Ram size can greatly increase the speed of your computer in terms of data processing. However, you must check the motherboard capacity of the system before installing a new RAM which can easily be done just with a screw driver as the component can easily slide out with very minimal effort. Remember to consult online guides and user manual for directions and references on how to do this if you are not a technically competent.
7. Regularly Update your software: when you update your software regularly you avail these devices the opportunity of consistency with newer modes of functionality and lower the risk of system failure or collapse. By updating the software you align your computer with other electronic devices it interacts with on the web and makes synchronization between software and any external hard ware seamless. Never forget to turn on automatic updates on your computer!
8. Erase Dusts and Filth: Your computer’s functionality could be compromised if dirt and filth clog sensitive components and accessories due to improper storage. Ensure that you regularly place the system in an aerated environment and use a stream of cool air preferably from a fan in a clean and dust free environment to clear up any hidden dust particle, tiny debris or even dead insects lodged inside your computer.
9. Delete Irrelevant Files: You may have installed or downloaded unwanted or irrelevant files on your computer that may impede efficient performance. Just delete these files or uninstall some program which may be eating up a large chunk of hard disk memory. You can equally do a total cleanup where you can uninstall or wipe out all programs and then reinstall the ones you need. But you must not forget to do a back up before proceeding on a full OS cleanup to avoid losing important system software or file.
10. Defragment: Defragmenting fragmented hard disks is a sure way to enhance your system’s performance. You can automatically schedule a system defragmentation at a specified interval of time or you can use the system options on your computer as a guide. You can equally learn more about defragmentation here.
11. Store files Online: You can store some of your files online. These files include your photos, movies and music. This store is contained inwhat is known as ‘the cloud’. These files can be accessed from any computer device and flickr is a good online storage system. Amazon cloud drive, drop box and Mozy are storage system that can be accessed with a monthly renewal fee for more space when the free starter package is exhausted.
These out lined tips would definitely bring your old PC or laptop back to life and reckoning and save you that extra money of replacing a system that already has a high salvage value.